Zoe Shinefield, Environmental Studies, BMC’ 22

Writing Science and Beyond: An Exploration of Written Science, Policy Analysis, and Other Scholarly Works

Faculty Adviser: Dr. Michelle Francl

Field Site: Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania

Field Supervisor: Dr. Jim McGann

Course Description:

Good writing can engage scientists, policy makers, and the general public alike in environmental issues and problem solving. This course examines writing as a tool to translate complex scientific research and other scholarly works for a variety of audiences. Building on the learning done in the Writing Science course (CHEM B125), student and advisor will explore how science is translated and expand on the question of “how does scientific research make its way out of the lab?” by asking, “how do the most powerful scholarly works inspire and move people?”

Reflection:

Praxis Blog Final

2 thoughts on “Zoe Shinefield, Environmental Studies, BMC’ 22

1. Sydney Robertson

I enjoyed reading your reflection, Zoe. As a person who loves writing but maybe not science so much, I like the connections you have made and bridges you’ve built between these two fields. It helps me be less binary in my thinking. You described your experience in a way that is enjoyable and easy to follow, which will inspire future students thinking about creating a Praxis course. Thank you!

2. Nell Anderson

Zoe,
    What a beautiful piece of writing! I love the discussion of serendipity, accidental happenings, and building connections between what seem to be initially unrelated themes.

Your work this semester has been extraordinary and though some of what took place was related to accidental happenings, your focus, organizational skills and your willingness to jump in to a leadership role, were key factors in your and your project’s success.

I am interested in how this experience will connect to other experiences and projects you undertake in your senior year and beyond.